Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Bear

Ava, Matt and I finally got to enjoy a decent snow... TOGETHER! When it snowed back in December, Ava and I got snowed in at my parent's house in Fuquay. Matt was excited to have his 2 ladies, 3 including Fergie, with him this time around.

We bundled Ava up in her adorable Bear outfit and took her outside to see the 8 inches of snow that covered the ground. No surprise, she was more interested in everything other than the white fluff!


Here is proud Papa with his little girl. I think Ava looks more and more like Matt everyday. In this picture, I think their eyes look almost identical. Fine by me! Everyone in his family has these piercing blue eyes... and if Ava inherits that gene, I'll be one happy Mama!























Don't worry, we weren't outside long. It was cold, windy, and our faces were being pelted with tiny pieces of sleet. We couldn't pass up the photo-op though. Matt and I are very much looking forward to the day when we can actually play with Ava in the snow!























Ever since Fergie was a tiny puppy, she has loved playing in the snow! This year has been no exception. This morning when we got up, I took Fergie to the back door to let her use the bathroom. As I opened the door, Fergie took one step out on the back deck, sniffed the snow on the ground, then ran (with impressive speed, I might add) in circles around the perimeter of our backyard for several minutes. I guess she figured if we wouldn't play with her, maybe the snow would!























Having lived in Utah and Michigan, my family always finds the weather reports amusing when snow is in the forecast. To any of my family in Baltimore, Chicago or Utah that may be reading this... let me give you an example of what I mean. Yes, Greensboro got 8 inches of snow. Yes, 8 inches is a significant amount for this region of the country. If you had spent any time in Greensboro yesterday, you would have thought the world was coming to an end though. Food was flying off the grocery store shelves at an alarming rate, lines were out the door and schools were even released 2 hours early. Now, a 2 hour early release means that schools dismissed around 12:30pm. The snow didn't start falling until 6 hours later. Yup, that's North Carolina for ya!

Even though I laugh at the reaction people have to snow here, I have truly come to appreciate it. As a Utah and Michigan native, I can remember times when it would be pouring snow outside and I wouldn't even take one second to appreciate it. Now, when the chance of snow is in the forecast, I find myself, along with most others in the community, about to burst with excitement! Snow is such a rare thing around here, that no one takes it for granted. When snow is predicted, that is all people talk about in the grocery store, at church, etc. Snow brings an electric energy to Greensboro that cannot be found any other time of year. Then, the morning after the snow falls, you step outside to a world of white and feel the biggest sense of peace as you look around at the beauty blanketing the ground. Isn't God awesome?

Funny story... I meant to include this with the previous "Cheeks" post, but it slipped my mind. Here is a hilarious conversation Matt and I shared the other week. 

Melissa: My dad thinks that Ava is starting to look more and more like you.
Matt: You know, now that Ava's cheeks look smaller, I think she looks more like me too.
Melissa: So... you're saying that when she was fat, she looked like me? Thanks.
Matt: No, no no!!! That's not what I meant!

Fortunately, I did know what he meant. I just saw an opportunity to put Matt's foot in his mouth for him, and I took it. And don't worry, Ava's cute cheeks are actually getting bigger again. I guess that means she's looking more like her chubby mama!


I couldn't help but share the following 2 pictures. This girl LOVES laying on her back. Changing table, chair, bed, play mat... It doesn't matter the location, she is HAPPY!


1 comment:

Ken Smith! said...

How cute is that! Did you let her touch the snow? So funny to hear about Fergie running around the yard. Ginger and Buddy have loved running in the back yard too... Seems like the cold weather and the white stuff brings out the puppy in the doggies!