Thursday, May 26, 2011

This Post Brought to You By the Letter 'S'

Sidewalk Chalk.... That can be a very misleading term. It would make one think that the chalk is solely used on the sidewalk. As it turns out, that is not the case at our house. Or, at least, it was not the case during the 2 seconds I turned my back to go get the mail. When I returned, mail in hand, I saw chalk scribbles on the window (yes, somehow Ava got it to show up on glass), the door mat, the front porch, the porch columns, the siding and the rocking chair.

Scrapes are an inevitable part of growing up. Dare I say they are an important part of growing up? Scrapes are just reminders of the times when children play too hard and tumble too fast. Not only are scrapes reminders of such things, they are also proof that kids are growing up right, and that "a little dirt never hurt anybody." I am proud to say that Ava is a rough and tumble kind of girl and that she has already earned her fair share of bandaged knees. Although now of course, we have much cuter band aids than what you see pictured below.

Slide. Ava loves going down slides. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures to prove this point. This is due mainly to the fact that when Ava goes down the slide on her swing set, she is sitting on my lap. And, let's face it, if I tried to take a shot of both of us going down the slide together, it would probably be less than flattering. Oh, and I would probably break my arm trying to balance a toddler and a camera as I zoom off the bottom of the slide.

Swinging is Ava's all time favorite thing to do. Somehow, whenever we go to a park with my brother, the swinging becomes less about Ava and more about the "Jumping Off" contest between Matt and Ryan.

Sunglasses. Ava is only a year and a half old and already she has 2 more pairs of sunglasses than I do. She would probably wear them to bed if I let her.

Splashing. What water activity would be complete without a little splashing? I think Ava found it funny that these mini fountains splashed her while she played.

Sunbathing. In the words of Cheryl Crow, "IIIIIIIIIII, I'm gonna soak up the sun....." (with a protective layer of sunscreen on, of course). I can think of only a few things that are more fun than sitting on the beach, sunbathing and stuffing your mouth with Cheez-Its. Apparently Ava agrees.

Sand. Remember before when I mentioned, "a little dirt never hurt anybody?" It's a good thing I truly believe that because when Ava plays in her sandbox, she plays hard! Normally, she gets a bath every other night, but we may have to bump it up to every night seeing as the sand is starting to collect in her crib.

Swim Suits are meant to be lived in at the beach. Good thing Ava has more swim suits than I can count on all 10 of my fingers. Hand me downs are a wonderful thing! :) How is it though, that with all of the swim suits she has, I only have pictures of Ava in this one?

Straws. See ya later sippy cups. Hello big girl cups.

Strawberries are Ava's food of choice. "Beh-Bees" as she calls them, are usually served alongside breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have already started freezing them because I am afraid Ava won't know what to do with herself when strawberries are no longer in season.

Shooting Hoops. Most evenings are spent on the swing set in our backyard or playing in our driveway. If we're in the driveway, you can almost always count on Matt and Ava shooting some hoops. It makes me smile because already, Ava is more athletic that I ever was. It makes Matt smile because, well, Ava likes basketball.

Splinters are yet another inevitable part of growing up. What am I saying? I am 27 years old and I still get splinters. How about.... Splinters are annoying. Yeah, that's more appropriate. Ava has already encountered a few splinters and fortunately (for us and her) the splinters came out after a good soak in the bath. The bridge seen below has not added to Ava's splinter count (to my knowledge)... The picture is just too cute note to share.
















Sweat. Hot temperatures + humidity = sweat. I mean, just look at Ava's hair matted down to hear head.


















Sprinklers are fun and a rite of passage for all children. Again, no photo of Ava actually going through a sprinkler to share, so the following must suffice. Ava loves playing with the water spigot, running her hands through the water and then gently cleaning her face (with her wet hands). Go figure.























Swimming Pools. All I have to say is, I am glad that we have so many relatives who have access to pools!

What do all of these "S" things mean? Good by spring... Helloooooo SUMMER!

No comments: