Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Lot of Ground to Cover...

...I mean that both figuratively and literally. It has been a while since our last post, so I have plenty of pictures and stories to tell. We also just returned from our biggest road trip with Ava. A 300+ mile drive to visit Matt's sister, Erin, and her family in Bluffton, SC! So, let's get started...

A few weeks ago, Ava got to spend some time with her Oma and Opa. With only a 2 hour drive separating my parents from their grand-daughter, they don't stay away long! :) I am very thankful that Ava has both sets of her grandparents relatively close to her. I spent a pretty decent amount of my childhood on the opposite side of the country from my grandparents. It was hard on me, and even harder for my grandparents, I'm sure.

While my parents get to see Ava pretty frequently, I'm sure it isn't as often as they'd like. Every time Oma and Opa visit, they can't get over how much Ava has grown and how much more she is able to do.


I finally got a picture of Ava in her Baby B'Jorn. She no longer looks like a limp sack of potatoes like I had mentioned in a previous post. She does a great job holding her head up while facing the front. For the past few weeks she has been facing forward and let me tell you, it's a whole new world for her. Her eyes dart back and forth looking at everything the grocery store has to offer. The Baby B'Jorn is the reason that I am able to go grocery shopping. It's a wonderful thing.


Matt and I can't seem to get enough of Ava, period. This is especially true when she is smiling and laughing. I guess you could say it makes us feel good to see our little girl happy. It also doesn't hurt that it makes us feel like we're at least doing something right as parents. Hopefully.


Could this next picture be any cuter? I think not. Chubby cheeks. Pudgy fingers. Toothless grin. Button nose. Squinty eyes. She sure does make us happy!


You know that pudgy finger I just mentioned? Yup, Matt is getting wrapped around it tighter and tighter everyday. I am so thankful that the Lord gave me such an amazing and Godly man as a husband and father to Ava. He's the best!

This past weekend, we took Ava to see her Aunt Erin, Uncle John and cousins, Jack and Finn. A normal drive (without a baby) from Greensboro to Bluffton takes anywhere from 4.5 - 5 hours. The drive with a baby takes a bit longer. We had to make 2 stops on the way down so Ava could eat and be changed (yet another blowout). 

Fortunately for us, the minute you put Ava in her car seat, she falls asleep. This made for a very peaceful drive down to Bluffton and a not so peaceful evening once we arrived. I think that being asleep for roughly 5 hours really messed up her routine. Go figure. If I got to sleep for 5 hours on the drive down to SC, I'd be a happy camper. Baby sleeping in the car for 5 hours on the way to SC = baby crying for the rest of the evening. Our apologies Ussery family! Hopefully our next visit won't be so tearful!


In between crying spells, Ava did manage to put on a happy face. Here she is with Aunt Erin. Ava and Erin certainly have one thing in common... they are both surrounded by BOYS! Erin's household consists of her husband, 2 sons and her MALE dog, Scout. Ava has almost all boy cousins and most of our friends with children have... boys! Erin and Ava appreciate the bond they share with each other... estrogen!


Ava also enjoyed spending time with her cousins, Jack and Finn. Here she is lounging around with Finny-Finnster. Somehow Matt and I did not get a picture of Ava with Jack. That will be a must on our next trip. 


Not only did Ava enjoy spending time with Jack and Finn, Matt and I did too. Those little nephews of ours are stinkin' adorable! They both have the biggest hearts and they say the funniest things! Being around them this past weekend really makes me look forward to when Ava can talk. Below is a quick list of some of the funny statements made by our nephews this past weekend. With or without the context of the situation, their words are hilarious!

Jack & Finn-isms
- "Fergie, stop licking me! You're going to lick the citrus off of me!"
- "What in the tarnation?"
- "Uncle Matt, you and I had such fun times in the bathroom!"
- "I don't want to talk to Ava. She's just shy."
- "Why can't you hush that baby up in there?"

Last, and well.... least, is a picture of Fergie and Scout. They're kindred spirits. Compatible companions. Best buds. Why? They both know how it feels to be neglected after children enter the picture. Oh Scouty! Fergie misses you and can't wait to see you again soon!

1 comment:

Ken Smith! said...

Awesome pictures! We saw all of the great photos at Silly Goose, and have the ones we like the best singled out......woohoo!