Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Weekend in Photos

We just came off a wonderful weekend spent with family and friends. Allow me to share with you some of our highlights.

Friday afternoon was spent out in our backyard. As always, Ava was thrilled to be outside. For whatever reason, she thinks that trees are hilarious. I haven't figured out exactly why trees make her laugh, but I'll take it! Here she is, enjoying tummy time and enjoying the beautiful weather!

This is one of Ava's latest poses. She either grabs the hair on the back of her head, or she grabs her ear. We're thinking she may be a lefty. Whether she is grabbing her hair, ear or a toy, it is always with her left hand. Good thing her mom is a former kindergarten teacher! I have plenty of tricks up my sleeve to help 'leftys' learn how to write!

Guess who else enjoyed spending some time outside?

Friday afternoon, we headed to Fuquay-Varina to spend part of the Mother's Day Weekend with my parents. My mom and dad have been working very hard the past few weeks to FINALLY finish their backyard. It has taken almost 2 years for this task to get accomplished... No thanks to their neighbors, a law suit and the army core of engineers. If you know the story, you know how happy my parents are to have the backyard done. If you don't know the story... don't ask! Either way, here is Ava with her Oma and Opa in their beautiful new backyard!

While at Oma and Opa's house, Ava enjoyed playing in her travel exersaucer...

She also enjoyed spending some quality time lounging on the couch with Uncle Ryan while Kayla entertained her with toys...

It's pretty much a given that when we go to my parent's house, at some point my brother and I will break out the Nintendo 64 for some good 'ole Mario Kart. This trip, we convinced my mom and Matt to play each other. No words could express how entertaining it was to watch the two of them battle it out. No words. My mom and Matt were very focused on the game, while the rest of us were laughing hysterically!

After exersaucing, couch lounging and Mario Karting, we cooked out for our Saturday Mother's Day celebration. While we all chowed down on steak, Ava enjoyed looking at the fish on her "swing away from home."

Back to the parent's backyard again... Part of the newly designed yard is an awesome patio, complete with fire pit. My mom saw this chair and recently bought it for Ava. "She'll have so much fun sitting in it while we roast marshmallows!" said my mom. Hmm... Open flames, hot/sharp metal rods... I'm going to have my hands full!

So my dad called me a week or two ago and said, "You're going to think I'm crazy, but I bought Ava a bike!" He was right. I thought he was crazy. Does he not know Ava can't even crawl yet? After hearing the amazing deal he got on this bike though, I couldn't blame him for buying it. My dad happened to be going to the Tractor Supply store to buy a machete (again, don't ask) when he came across a few children's bikes on clearance. Originally, this bike was $140. My dad got it for $13! We took the bike out of the box to take a peek, but quickly put it back since Ava won't be able to use it for a few years. It's pretty cute though... take a look:

From left to right, this is a picture of one of the training wheels, a backpack (to go where the traditional handlebar basket goes) and the bike seat. Love. It. Oh, and shhhh! This is sure to be a future gift for Ava, so don't spoil the surprise! :)

We were back home in the G-Boro on Sunday. We enjoyed an awesome service in church, followed by an excellent day spent together as a family. I consider it the biggest privilege to be able to celebrate Mother's Day as a mom. I am truly honored that God has blessed me with Matt as my husband and Ava as my daughter. So undeserving.

Ava is very close to sitting up all by herself! I can hardly believe it! Here she is playing with one of her favorite toys... supported by none other than the Boppy.

I sat Ava in her rocking chair this evening while I cleaned up the kitchen. Next thing I knew, she was leaning all the way forward (while strapped in, of course), nibbling on her toes. I quickly came over and pushed her back to the upright position. My assistance was apparently not warranted because she looked at me like I was crazy, and then assumed the toe-nibbling position. She realized though, that by sitting back in the seat, followed by leaning forward, rocked the chair back and forth. To my amazement, she spent the next 5 or so minutes rocking herself in her chair. I need to get that one on video!

 Hope you all had a great weekend! Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Love the toothpick in Matt's mouth!For some reason it really adds to the whole, "What am I doing" look.