Wednesday, February 23, 2011

RSV

Medically, RSV is defined as: Respiratory Syncytial Virus. In our house, we change the letters up a bit, and define it as: Very Rotten Sickness. Either way you look at it, it's here, and Ava has it.

Ava has been suffering from a cough for a while now. A few days ago, she added several more symptoms to the mix. I'll spare you all of the bodily fluid details, but let's just say my washing machine has been working overtime lately.

I figured a visit to the doctor was in order, so yesterday we went to go see the fabulous Dr. Brett. This particular trip to the doctor will go down in the record books for sure. Blood, sweat and tears were all present and accounted for. Literally. At the beginning of the appointment, the nurse had to draw blood from Ava's finger to check her white blood cell count. Then, I had to administer a breathing treatment to Ava... by myself. This breathing treatment was not as serene as it might sound. Just picture me trying to hold a hissing mask up to Ava's face while the loud machine the mask was attached to, roared in the background. Not fun. And if that wasn't enough, Ava ripped the band-aid off of her pricked finger... Which meant that while she was fighting me and the breathing mask, she got blood on my clothes, my face, my hands and my neck. Add that to her tears and the fact that both of us were sweating by the end of the treatment and it looked like Ava and I had a fist fight. Did I mention that during the entire visit, Ava was s-c-r-e-a-m-i-n-g?!? No? Well, yes... she was. And no, that didn't add to the fun at all. :)

I am happy to report that the breathing treatments are going much better now that we are home! I let Ava familiarize herself with the face mask while it was not attached to the machine. Also, she gets to watch The Wonder Pets during the treatment and she is rewarded with an M&M when it is over. Matt and I really are so proud (and amazed) that Ava will sit silently and motionless on my lap for the 10 minutes it takes to administer the treatment. For the next several days, this is what Ava will look like after she wakes up and before going to bed:























What a little trooper. I must say, having Xopenex, Amoxicillin, Prednisolone and Ibuprofen pumping through Ava's body for 24 hours has made a world of difference! Matter of fact, as I sit and write this post, I can hear Ava breathing (and not coughing) through the baby monitor as she sleeps peacefully in the other room. Praise God she is on the mend! Thanks to everyone for your prayers... They are felt and appreciated! :)

No comments: