Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Breakin' It In

It has been a while since I've posted anything on the blog. Quite honestly, I didn't think that anyone would notice, much less care, that I have been slack on the blog-front lately. Apparently I was wrong. By no means do I intend to sound like the masses have been asking me to post something new. Quite the contrary, actually. Instead of the masses.... it has been one, single, solitary person. My brother, Ryan. The following 3 text conversations took place over the course of several days.
1. Ryan: You've been slacking on the blog lately.
Me: Ha! I didn't know you read it! I will get something up soon.
Ryan: Kayla and I look everyday.
Me: I remember asking you about it once and you said you just look at the pictures. Well, maybe you still do only look at the pictures. :)
Ryan: You know me too well. I have Kayla read it and give me the Cliffs Notes version.

2. Me: Did you guys get snow this morning?
Ryan: No. Did you?
Me: Just a dusting.
Ryan: Cool. Are you going to put it on your blog? You still have one, don't you?

3. Ryan: Is Erin in town?
Me: Yes
Ryan: Cool
Me: Why do you ask?
Ryan: Just wondering. I remember you saying something about it. Maybe she can help you with your blog.

So, in an attempt to appease my brother, and stop the texting-harrassment, here is a brand-spanking new blog post! I put plenty of pictures below, Ryan. This way, there will be plenty for you to look at and Kayla can fill you in on what is happening in the pictures later. :)

My sister-in-law, Erin, and my nephews, Jack & Finn, have been in town for the past several days. They came over this afternoon to officially break in all of the parts to Ava's swing set. First on the list, the swings.

When Finn was done with the swings, he ventured over to the slide. Finn is officially the first kid to ride down the slide, independently, since the swing set has been in our backyard.

Finn is probably also the first kid to find out that the slide is full of static electricity. It didn't matter if Finn was under the slide....

Or on it.... His hair was crazy!

While Finn was sliding, Jack was pushing Ava in her swing. I wish so bad there was audio to this picture... Ava was laughing so hard she was cackling!

After pushing Ava, Jack made his way to the fort. Where he made silly faces.

What playground adventure is complete without trying to stay safe from Evil Uncle Matt? In the following picture, Jack and Finn were just about to whiz down the slide when they saw Matt hiding behind a bush. Yeah, I would have had second thoughts about going to the slide as well.

Once the coast was clear, and Matt was no longer a monster, Finn gave the rope ladder a try.

And after every inch of the swing set had been played on, the boys spent some time playing with Fergalicious. Getting attention from 2 kids, at the same time? I believe she was one happy dog.

All of the above happened while Ava chilled out in her swing. Her absolute favorite place to be. Matter of fact, several weeks ago, I taught her to say, "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee" (which comes out as a very high pitched 'Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee') while swinging. Now, every morning after breakfast, Ava points to the door leading to the backyard and enthusiastically screams, "Eeeeeeeeeeee!!!"

While we're talking about 'breaking things in,' here is our latest adventure. The potty seat. A few weeks ago, I realized that every time I stood Ava in the bath water, she would take a look at herself (down south), stare for a few seconds, pee in the tub (while standing), nod her head and say, "pee pee." It was obvious she knew that something was going to happen since she would look, and stare before anything ever came out. So, she has been breaking in her new potty seat for about a week now. We put her on it right before bath time. As of yet, she has not actually used the potty, but she hasn't peed in the bath either.

Breaking in the swing set, check. Breaking in the potty, check. Breaking in the walking shoes.... check, check, CHECK! Ava has been cautiously taking steps/walking around the house for over a month now. Today however, she threw caution to the wind and has decided that walking is her newest form of transportation. She has covered HUGE distances today, and at times, walks so fast she almost appears to be running. A few times this morning, Ava would crawl three or four feet, then stand up in the middle of the floor and continue to her destination by walking. Could this be the end of dirty palms and worn out knees on her pants? Let's hope so!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading about Ava's adventures too, Melissa! She's such a sweetheart. Thank you for sharing great photos and stories with us!

Hope Spencer