Friday, July 15, 2011

U is for Utah

Utah. There are so many things I love about this state. Above all the things I love about Utah, I love my grandma (who lives in Utah), and I love that we got to spend some time with her over the past several days.

Tuesday morning started really early for us. 4:00am, to be exact. We got up, got dressed, drove to the airport in Raleigh and rolled through security, literally.

Genius Traveling Tip #1: The Go Go Babyz Travel Mate. If you or someone you know will be traveling with a toddler in the future, I highly recommend this product. Instead of taking a car seat and a stroller through the airport, you can simply attach a handle with wheels to your child's car seat, and you're ready to roll!

Genius Traveling Tip #2: A cosmetic bag, turned snack super hero. I packed this bag with all of Ava's favorite goodies, rolled the bag up, placed it in my backpack and all of Ava's snacks were at my fingertips whenever I needed them.

I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful Ava was on the airplane! Including layovers, we spent about 7.5 hours either in an airplane or an airport on the way to Utah AND the return trip home. Needless to say, with the long traveling hours, time change, lack of routine.... I was a little nervous that Ava would be the screaming baby on the flight. I am happy to report that she never made a peep. She spent her time watching movies on a portable DVD player (Genius Traveling Tip #3), coloring, playing with toys, napping, and of course, reading her books.

When all of the games and toys in my backpack no longer held Ava's attention, she had plenty of people to keep her entertained.

Once we arrived in Utah, our time was spent bouncing back and forth between my grandma's house, the hotel, and a local park. We did our best to accommodate Ava's nap time, along with meals and time for my grandma to rest. As a result of our choppy schedule, the following pictures are kind of all over the place, so please bear with me.

While growing up in Utah, my brother and I used to go to Layton Park almost every day. We rode bikes, played on the playground, and fed the ducks. 25 years later, my brother, mom and I returned to Layton Park, and this time, I brought my daughter with me.

Ava loved looking at the ducks...

And posing for pictures with the ducks...

And walking over the bridge that goes over the ducks.

One of my favorite things about Layton Park, and Utah in general, is seeing my mountains. They are gorgeous, and no matter where you're eyes look, they're there. Oh how I wish we had mountains like this around here. Sigh.


















After spending the morning at the park, we stopped back by the hotel where Ava enjoyed riding up and down in the elevator...

And running up and down the halls. Again. And again. And again.

And now on to the most important part of our trip, visiting with my grandma... Ava's Great Oma, or as Ava said, "Mah-Mo-Ma."

We got to spend a couple of days enjoying lunch and dinner at my grandmother's table.

The high chair that Ava sat in was my grandmother's when she was a baby. If you do the math, this chair is almost 90 years old. Still works like a charm!

Ava loves her Great Oma and I believe it's safe to say the feeling is mutual. I am so happy we got to spend time with my grandma, I just hate that it doesn't happen more often.

Our last night in Utah was spent back at Layton Park for a picnic with my aunt and uncle.

Ava also got to experience one of my all time favorite Utah foods: Raspberry filled, powdered sugar covered doughnuts. Yum. I believe she was a fan!

Ryan taught Ava how to feed the ducks.

And Ava spent some time playing on the playground.

After all of the visiting, playing, and traveling, Ava got in her pajamas and tried to settle down for the night.

Unfortunately, Ava was beyond exhausted and when that happens, she gets SLAP...

HAPPY!

Ava finally calmed down and enjoyed having a slumber party with Oma.

All in all, it was a fast, but very worthwhile trip. I wish more than anything my grandmother lived closer. The distance between us certainly makes me cherish the time we get to spend with her.

Thank you, Lord, for blessing us with safe travel, and a wonderful trip visiting family.

No comments: