Saturday, December 03, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday, Ava!

2 years ago today, at 2:30pm, Ava Louise Gardner entered the world and changed our lives forever. We spend the entire day celebrating. Here is a recap:

Ava woke up to balloons on her floor, and Me, Matt, Oma and Uncle Ryan singing Happy Birthday.

After a birthday pancake breakfast, we loaded up in the van, and headed to Safari Nation for Ava's birthday party. Ava has been to Safari Nation several times, and she spent the entire car ride telling us everything she planned to do and see during the party.

Safari Nation had a reserved parking spot just for the birthday girl.


As soon as we checked in, Ava was off and running. I honestly did not see her for the first 10 minutes of her party because she would not stay in one spot more than 30 seconds. So instead, I took pictures of all of the beautiful babies that came to celebrate Ava's birthday. They all had the same reaction.... Stare at the large black camera (and the crazy lady behind the camera) in wonder, amusement and fear.




The slightly older kids enjoyed crawling through tunnels.

Walking on balance beams.

Collecting foam balls.

Trying to escape.

Zooming through the air.

And sliding down slides. And let me just mention... Anna (holding Ava in the following picture) was a life saver at this party! Anna never let Ava out of her sight. Plus, Anna carried Ava up every ladder and through every tunnel that Ava needed help with. This was my first trip to Safari Nation where I did not break a sweat. I'm not sure I can say the same for Anna... She played hard, and took the best care of Ava! Thank you!

Who says 2 year old birthday parties are just for kids? The grown ups had a great time too.



After an hour of playing, it was time for some sugar consumption. I tried my best to bring the 'safari' theme into the cupcakes...

There were hippos (even though Ava kept calling them giraffes).

And alligators.

And flamingos.

Ava looked itty bitty sitting in this giant, inflatable chair.
She devoured her alligator cupcake and was ready to play the rest of the day away!

We are so thankful to God for the many family members and friends who not only able to come celebrate Ava's birthday, but who are such an important part of Ava's life.




After 2 hours of playing, we were all in need of some food. We headed over to Ava's favorite restaurant for lunch, Tokyo Express. Ava can put down a plate of shrimp and rice like nobody's business.

After lunch... Presents! Any typical kid would have ripped through these gifts in no time. Our Ava, is anything but typical. It took her an hour to get through all of these presents. She is the type of kid who opens a present, and wants to play with THAT present. I am by no means complaining... I guess I just never thought I would have to use M&Ms to bribe my child to finish opening her presents. 

By far, her favorite gift was a beauty set. More specifically... the hair dryer that was included in the beauty set. The hair dryer has been on so much, I doubt the batteries will last through the end of the week. :)

Ava also enjoyed playing with her new, 'paint with water' book. I used to love those things when I was a kid!

Once Ava was done painting the picture, she moved on to her toes. Thank goodness it is just water.

Happy 2nd Birthday, Shoogie. Dad and I love you more than you will ever know. What a privilege and blessing it is to be your parents!

No comments: