Saturday, September 04, 2010

Lake Life

Today we traveled on Highway 220 South, to Lake Tillery. Once we arrived, we spent the day on a boat with Aunt Erin, Uncle John, Cousins Jack & Finn, Mimi, Poppy and Billy & Amanda (Erin and John's friends from SC). It was a great way to spend a Saturday.

I'm not sure what the age limit is, but all children under a certain age must wear a life jacket while boating. Certainly Ava fell within this category. The only problem was that the life jacket was more like a straight jacket. The poor girl couldn't move.

Need a closer look? Ok. I'm pretty sure if you look up the word 'pathetic' in the dictionary, you would find the following picture alongside the definition. Then again, you might find this picture next to the word(s) 'cute as a button' too.


Have you ever heard of skurfing (sp)? I hadn't until today. It is basically water skiing, except instead of skis, you use a surf board... Which means there is absolutely nothing to strap you feet into. It sounds fun in theory, and I'm sure it is. I wouldn't know. I couldn't get up. Uncle John on the other hand, could get up. He could get up by himself and with his 5 year old son standing on the board with him. Yeah, Uncle John has the annoying ability to make all water sports seem effortless. Sorry Ava, if you want to go skurfing several years from now, I am not the one to call on. 


After many attempts, Matt managed to get up on the board. I was so proud of him!


This is what ALL of my many attempts looked like: Surfboard flying off to the side, rope dragging through the water, big splash, Melissa no where to be seen. My only accomplishment? Swallowing about half the lake. There was of course, some successful tubing, but I didn't manage to get any pictures of that.


After regaining my composure, we headed back toward the lake house. During the ride, I enjoyed some cuddle time with Ava and Jack...


While Finley made funny faces.


Group shot of the boat. With John in the water. Making skurfing look easy.


My Boo Bear enjoying some time with her Mimi. Believe it or not, Ava didn't make a peep while being suffocated by her life jacket. I however, couldn't take it anymore, and decided to take it off of her for the latter part of the afternoon. I figured her cheeks would serve as pretty decent flotation devices if needed.


Ava loves her cousin Jack. They spent some quality time with each other before we headed back home. Thank you Jack for always making Ava smile, for taking the time to play with her, for being gentle with her and for loving her! She loves you and Finley both so much!

No comments: