Saturday, April 17, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

Today, I was honored to hold a baby shower for my friend, Lauren. She is pregnant with her second son, and she is due at the end of May. Lauren, we can't wait to meet Finley!

As host of this particular shower, I was responsible for... the cake. I mentioned in one of my previous posts that while I was more than happy to make a cake for Lauren, I was a little bit scared. You see, Lauren is known as the cake master among our group of friends. How am I supposed to make a cake for the cake MASTER? Here are just a few examples of the many cakes Lauren has made in the past:

Here is the cake she made for my baby shower last year:

Her son's birthday cake this past March:













And her son's birthday cake from the previous year (yes, that is a real goldfish in the pond):

See what I mean? I was shaking in my boots. I knew Lauren deserved more than a sheet cake purchased from the local grocery store, so I started racking my brain.... I had seen a post on my sister in-law's blog about cake pops. They're cake, they're on a stick... How hard could they be? Mmmm... Harder than they look. At least for me. I made several practice batches before starting in on the final product for Lauren's shower. After several failed attempts, I finally got the system down and managed to produce a batch of cake pops. Here is the final product:

Lauren, I was happy to make these little cuties for you. Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did!







After Lauren's shower, we went to a "They're Already Married" shower. One of Matt's long-time friends got married out of state last month. The groom's family threw a wonderful reception for the couple so the Greensboro folks could greet the newlyweds. Congratulations Amy and Clark!

Ava enjoyed spending time with the bride and groom's niece, Kinsleigh. So many of our friends and relatives have little boys, so Ava enjoyed being held by a GIRL!

No comments: