Tuesday, October 25, 2011

ABC ID

A couple months ago, Ava received a Leapfrog Text & Learn Toy. It is something I probably would have never picked out for her, but boy am I glad that she has it! Over about a 2 week period, Ava has learned to identify almost every letter of the alphabet, and many letter sounds... All due to the Text & Learn! Whenever we are in the car, the Text & Learn is what she wants to play with!

If we are driving in the car, reading a book, or watching TV, Ava will point out each and every letter that she knows. Currently, the letters she is able to identify and SAY independently are: A, B, C, E, F, G, H, I, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, W, and Y.

When asked, "Ava, what does (insert letter here) say?" She currently says the following:
B: buh
F: fuh
G: guh
H: Huh (not quite sure how to spell that sound, but you know what I'm talking about)
I: (short i sound)
K: Hi-Yah! (high pitched, karate sound) This is currently my favorite. When Ava pushes the K button on the toy, it says, "K. K says kuh, like karate kick. Hi-Yah!"
M: Mmmmm
P: puh
Q: coo
S: ssssssss
T: tuh

The teacher in me is blown away that Ava has already picked up on all of this knowledge on her own. She's not even 2! The mom in me is terrified that she has picked up on all of this knowledge on her own. I believe at some point in the very near future, this little angel will be able to give me a run for my money!

2 comments:

Jen said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!! There are kids in my K class who still can't ID the letters in their own name. Way to go!!!

Jen said...

WAY TO GO !!! There are kids in my K class who still can't ID the letters in their very own name. I can't believe your lil lady can do it. AMAZING!!